Daily Archives: May 6, 2014

New OBHC Finding Aid

New finding aid available on the Outer Banks History Center finding aids page:

Maud Hayes Stick Papers 1889-1972 (PDF)
Ada Maud Hayes Stick (1889-1972) was born and raised on the eastern shore of Maryland and Delaware. At the age of 18, she began working as an artist’s model at Howard Pyle’s art institute in Wilmington, Delaware. Maud’s classic beauty made her one of Pyle’s most sought after models. It was here that she met illustrator and writer Frank Stick in 1906. They were married in 1908. While at the Pyle school, Maud continued to model for Frank and other Pyle school students. One of them, W. H. D. “Bill” Koerner, along with his wife Lillian, became close, lifelong friends of the Sticks. Maud was the model for one of Koerner’s most famous paintings, “”The Madonna of the Prairie,”” completed in 1921 and used as an illustration for Emerson Hough’s story “The Covered Wagon” serialized in the Saturday Evening Post. Maud depicted the story’s heroine, Molly Wingate. Maud shared her husband’s love of the outdoors and they enjoyed hunting, fishing, and camping together in the wilderness. They spent 1912-14 living in a remote cottage in northern Wisconsin, and then lived in the Chicago area, Wilmington, Del., and Interlaken, N.J., until discovering the Outer Banks in the mid-1920s. In 1909, Maud gave birth to their first child, Charlotte. In 1919, the Stick’s second child David was born. That birthing left her deaf and she would depend upon a hearing aid for the rest of her life. David Stick would become a noted author, historian, community leader, and founding benefactor of the Outer Banks History Center. Beginning in 1929, the Sticks made the Outer Banks their primary home for the rest of their lives. Maud died in Kitty Hawk, N.C. in 1972 after a long illness, having lost both Charlotte and her beloved Frank before her

Advertisements