New OBHC Finding Aids

New finding aids are available on the Outer Banks History Center finding aids page:

Elizabethan Gardens Special Garden Areas Records, 1997 – 2000 (PDF)
The Elizabethan Gardens is a living memorial to the men and women of the Roanoke Voyages (1584-1587) who attempted to colonize the new world. More than 500 plant species are found within its 10-acre site on the north end of Roanoke Island, adjacent to Waterside Theatre. The Shakespearean Herb Garden, the Queen’s Rose Garden, and the formal sunken knot garden are some of the Garden’s features. The Elizabethan Gardens is also home to an impressive collection of statuary including an enthralling Italian fountain in the formal garden and a larger-than-life bronze statue of Elizabeth I, the largest likeness of her in the world. This collection was amassed by Kathy Mitchell, former employee of the Elizabethan Gardens, while she aided in the development of the special gardens areas. The collection is comprised of receipts, correspondence, diagrams, charts, labels, and plant lists relating to the renovation of the Rose Garden, the creation of interpretive labels for the Herb Garden and the design of a perennial border around the grand lawn. (.25 cubic feet)

Manns Harbor Community School Scrapbook, November, 1982 (PDF)
In November 1982, a tugboat struck and severed the William B. Umstead Bridge which links the community of Manns Harbor with Roanoke Island, and by extension, the rest of the Outer Banks. Students in the small mainland community were not able to reach their schools in Manteo for several weeks. During that time, the local community center was utilized as a school. This collection consists of one small scrapbook related to the Manns Harbor Community School. (1 small scrapbook)

Russell, Colonel Charles Lambert, Journal, January 1, 1862 – February 7, 1862 (PDF)
Colonel Charles L. Russell was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, July 25, 1828. During the Civil War he was placed in command of the 10th Connecticut Infantry Regiment and died on the field during the Battle of Roanoke Island, February 8, 1862. He ordered his men to lie down to become less susceptible to gunfire, but ignored the pleas of his subordinates to do the same. This collection consists of a journal in 4 unbound signatures and 1 folder of supplementary items, including a photocopy of the journal along with biographical and historical information photocopied from published sources. The journal begins on January 1, 1862 at Annapolis, Maryland. Russell recorded his observations and experiences from the mundane to the sublime while part of the Burnside Expedition, an assembly of eight-odd ships loaded with men, armaments and supplies, that sailed down the Chesapeake Bay to Fort Monroe in Hampton Roads and then into the open ocean to Hatteras Inlet. The expedition took part in the two-day Battle of Roanoke Island, February 7 and 8, 1862, where Russell received a fatal gunshot wound. (.25 cu. Feet)

Steer, Helen Vane, Lost Colony Script and Notes Collection (PDF)
Helen Vane Steer (1926 – 2001) came to Roanoke Island for two weeks in May of 1985 to serve as a dialect coach to the cast of The Lost Colony drama. The British-born Steer, an associate professor at East Carolina University, guided the cast in the use of dialect and accents of Devonshire, Cockney and aristocratic British. This collection consists of the finding aid, an annotated script, a personal data sheet, recommendation for promotion, and associated notes about Steer’s work at the Lost Colony. (.25 cubic feet)

Ward, Alvah H., Jr., Papers, 1947 – 1981 (PDF)
Oregon Inlet is a dynamic body of water that connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pamlico Sound, flowing between the northern Outer Banks and Hatteras Island. After Alvah Ward, Sr. mounted a ten-year, grassroots effort to have Oregon Inlet deepened, Congress finally authorized the Manteo-Shallowbag Bay navigation project. After Alvah, Sr.’s death, the Dare County Board of Commissioners asked Alvah Ward, Jr. to continue to pursue the Oregon Inlet deepening project. With the utilization of larger, more efficient vessels, navigation of a constantly shoaled Oregon Inlet began to curtail further industry expansion, and with continuing loss of life and property, vessel owners began to shun North Carolina ports altogether. At the request of industry and county government, Alvah, Jr. agreed to address the justification for the permanent stabilization of Oregon Inlet with a jetty system. Opposition by organized environmental groups throughout the nation emerged, led by the Department of the Interior who saw the loss of land required for anchoring the north jetty as a threat to their national mandates. Proper justification was presented again and again and finally Congressional approval for construction was granted in 1970. The Alvah Ward, Jr. Papers consist of maps, newspaper clippings, magazines, correspondence, photographs, pamphlets, briefs, and reports on Oregon Inlet, Wanchese Harbor, Wanchese Seafood Industrial Park, Manteo-Shallowbag Bay, the North Carolina Fisheries Association, and Federal Bureau of Commercial Fisheries. (6.32 cubic feet)

Women’s Association of the Duck Woods Country Club Records, 1986 – 2001 (PDF)
The Duck Woods Country Club was founded in the mid-1960s under the original name Outer Banks Recreation Association and Duck Woods Golf Course. The name was changed to the Duck Woods Country Club in 1988. The Women’s Association was originally called the Outer Banks Recreation Association Women’s Auxiliary until 1987, when the name was changed to Women’s Association of the Duck Woods Country Club. The purpose of the Women’s Association is to serve as a center of interest among the women of the club by promoting social and recreational activities for members, encouraging friendship among these women, and supporting those activities which are in the best interest of the Country Club and the community. The Women’s Association of the Duck Woods Country Club Records consists of newspaper clippings, newsletters, photographs, yearly histories, meeting minutes; and annual reports. There is a gap from 1992 to 1995. (1.23 cubic feet)

 

Advertisements