Outer Banks History Center Advisory Committee and Robert Stanley Wahab

There are two new finding aids on the Outer Banks History Center (OBHC) website:

Outer Banks History Center Advisory Committee Records Collection, 1989 – 2000 (PDF)
The Outer Banks History Center Advisory Committee was formed in 1987 to serve as a panel of expert advisors to the Director of the Division of Archives and History in Raleigh and the Curator of the newly formed Outer Banks History Center in Manteo regarding administration of the center. Advisory Committee members addressed matters dealing with operations, acquisitions, exhibits and expenditures from an annual designated distribution from the Outer Banks Community Foundation. Later, another support group, the Outer Banks History Center Associates (now the Friends of the Outer Banks History Center) was created to provide financial and volunteer support for the Outer Banks History Center as well as facilitating important acquisitions and steering special projects. With its goals achieved, the Advisory Committee decided to disband in 2000 due to the growth of the Outer Banks History Center, development and training of its staff, and the center’s transfer to the State Archives which would provide the expert advice needed moving forward.This collection contains organizational papers, committee minutes, correspondence, and financial records. (1 box of materials, .25 cubic feet, 9 folders.)

Wahab, R. Stanley, and Family Papers, 1931 – 2005 (PDF)
Robert Stanley Wahab, Sr. (1888 – 1967) was born on Ocracoke Island, February 3, 1888 to Hatton and Martha Howard Wahab, and was descended from two of the island’s early families. He spent his youth on Ocracoke Island where his textbooks came from shipwrecks and his father served in the U.S. Lifesaving Service at the Cedar Hammocks station. After tours at sea, business college, and positions in retail businesses, education and accounting, Wahab and an associate formed the company Retail Store Services in 1927, a furniture buying cooperative for high-end furniture stores that had limited buying power alone. While running that business until 1947, he built the Wahab Village Hotel in 1936, Ocracoke’s first modern hostelry. The Wahab Village expanded to become a resort including a campground, hunting and fishing club, rental cottages, and a dinner and dancing club, the “Spanish Casino.” Wahab also helped bring electrical and ice plants, telephone service and improvements to roads and the ferry service to Ocracoke. He was married three times and had three children. This collection consists of family history files and photographs; a large general ledger of R. Stanley Wahab’s business and personal affairs over a period of six decades, 1931—1994; and, an oversized item—a brochure from the Wahab Village (circa 1950s), resort promoting cottages, a campground, a hunting and fishing club, and boating with 22 photographs (some partial) and a map of Ocracoke Island, circa mid-1930s. Photographs primarily depict Ocracoke Island including many during and shortly after World War II. There is one heretofore unknown image of the Diamond Shoals Lightship. (.3 cu.ft.)

Advertisements