Monument To a Century of Flight and Ben Dixon MacNeill

There are two new finding aids on the Outer Banks History Center (OBHC) website:

Icarus International and First Flight Rotary “Monument To a Century of Flight” Time Capsule Records, 2001—2005 (PDF)
December 17, 2003 marked the 100-year anniversary of the invention of powered flight by Orville and Wilbur Wright at Kill Devil Hills on North Carolina’s Outer Banks. Aviation and history enthusiasts around the world celebrated the centennial at the National Park Service’s Wright Brothers National Memorial spearheaded also by the U. S. Centennial of Flight Commission and North Carolina First Flight Centennial Commission. In the years surrounding the centennial crescendo, many special projects and events added to the commemoration. One enduring project in the adjacent community of Kitty Hawk, at the Aycock Brown Welcome Center, is the addition of a dramatic, outdoor sculptural site to the Outer Banks landscape, the “Monument to a Century of Flight.” Hosted by the non-profit, Icarus International, the monument heralds the connection between creativity and invention. Ten years in the making, the project garnered local, national, and international involvement. The building of the monument, and an endowment for its perpetual care, were funded through a combination of public and private sponsorships and donations. From its inception, planners intended to incorporate a time capsule into the design of the monument containing thoughts and memorabilia from the people of 2003 to be gifted to the people of 2103. The First Flight Chapter of Rotary International coordinated the project while the Outer Banks History Center provided technical assistance. This collection consists of one pamphlet box containing 13 folders, exclusively in paper format. An item-level inventory of all contents of the time capsule is supplemented by planning committee and project records, artist’s renderings, dedication memorabilia, clippings, and ephemera. The inventory is cross-referenced in two ways, box-by-box and by donating organization. (13 folders, approximately .1 cu. ft.)

MacNeill, Ben Dixon, Photographs (PDF)
Ben Dixon MacNeill (1889-1960) was born near Laurinburg, N.C. on Nov. 21, 1889. In 1920, MacNeill took a job with the News and Observer in Raleigh covering state government, the General Assembly, and other assignments. Impressed with his skill of enlivening the tedious, News and Observer editor Josephus Daniels assigned MacNeill as a roving state correspondent. In 1937, MacNeill became publicist for Paul Green’s fledgling drama, The Lost Colony. Operating from the John White Cottage at the Old Fort Raleigh Complex, he wrote numerous articles which have been attributed to the play’s early success. This collection contains 419 negatives, 294 8”x10” black & white prints, and 600 dpi digital scans of each image stored on a disc and a hard drive. Prints of select images were made when negatives were originally transferred by Museum of the Albemarle. (2 cubic feet)

Advertisements