Posted by: Ashley | March 13, 2013

St. Andrew’s By The Sea Episcopal Church, Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts and Other Finding Aids

There are several new finding aids on the Outer Banks History Center (OBHC) website:

Dough Family Papers, 1825 – 1950 (pdf)
Most of the papers in this collection relate to the Walter Townsend Dough line of the Dough family. A native of Roanoke Island, Walter Dough was born in 1834 to Thomas Allen and Sarah Etheridge Dough. He was a commercial fisherman and was appointed the Dare County sheriff in 1875. The Dough family, which can trace its roots on Roanoke Island back to the 18th century, has a long history of working in the commercial fishing and boatbuilding industries, as well as serving in the U. S. Lifesaving Service and U. S. Coast Guard. The Dough Family Papers include correspondence, land surveys, land deeds, receipts, and court summons. (.24 cubic feet)

North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Master Gardeners Records, 1992-2004 (pdf)
The Master Gardeners program is part of the North Carolina State Cooperative Extension Service. The program provides educational opportunities for Master Gardeners, as well as a forum where Master Gardeners can exchange information and expertise with others. Members serve as volunteers to provide gardening expertise on the “Greenline” hotline and participate in outreach projects and fundraisers. The North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Master Gardeners Records consist of papers from the Dare Master Gardener Volunteer Association, and includes correspondence, photographs, meeting minutes, press releases, newspaper clippings, and a handbook. (.56 cubic feet)

Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts Records, 1992-2009 (pdf)
The mission of the Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts is to promote an appreciation of, and involvement in, the performing arts on the Outer Banks and nearby areas through the presentation of an annual series of affordable concerts by diverse artists. The Forum is a non-profit organization and provides opportunities for youth to participate in the arts. The Forum’s season runs from September to May. All performances are partially underwritten by community businesses. The Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts Records contain financial records, correspondence, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, information on grants, performers, and programs. (5.17 cubic feet)

St. Andrew’s By The Sea Episcopal Church Papers, 1936 – 1997 (pdf)
On August 18, 1850, a sound side Episcopal chapel, All Saints, was consecrated in Nags Head, North Carolina to cater to the growing population of merchants, planters, and businessmen who brought their families to spend the summer at the resort. The chapel was torn down in 1865 by order of Union Forces’ General Ambrose Burnside, in order to use the lumber for the freedmen’s colony on Roanoke Island. Under the leadership of Rev. Robert B. Drane, D.D., a compensation of $700 was paid by Congress for the loss of the church. A new church was constructed and consecrated on August 16, 1916. The new church was called St. Andrew’s By The Sea. The church was moved to its current spot in 1937. Several additions to the church have been made through the years. A new sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 2003. The St. Andrews By The Sea Episcopal Church Records contain correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, vestry meeting minutes, treasurer’s reports, church bulletins, and sermons. (3.88 cubic feet)

Advertisements

Categories

%d bloggers like this: