In this, the next of our continuing series on the records now available on Saturdays, I’m focusing on several collections related to the Dept. of Human Resources which have been moved to our new storage space in the Archives and Library building. The complete list of all the materials moved is available as a PDF from our website, but I’m breaking down the list into a series of blog posts.
More information about these collections can be found in our online catalog MARS, but it will likely take us a while to change the location codes in MARS and our other finding aids so we ask you to please be patient with us.
Human Resources, Dept. of, Division of Facility Services, Certificate of Need Section, 1973-1981
Applications received from medical facilities concerning their need to improve facilities or equipment. The series also contains correspondence between the applicants, the agency, and the U.S. Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare. These applications, as required under the Public Health Service Act, are submitted whenever a project exceeds capital expenditure thresholds, a change in bed numbers or a change in category is requested, or when a new institutional health service is proposed. An alphabetical card index to these files is maintained by the agency, which has also been known as the State Health Planning and Development Agency.
Human Resources, Dept. of, N. C. Orthopedic Hospitals, 1900-1981
In 1917 the General Assembly appropriated funds to establish and maintain the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital. The act stipulated that these initial state funds would be released for its construction and support if matching funds were pledged from other sources. The governor appointed a five-member search committee to select a site and a nine- member board of trustees who would begin serving after the hospital was sited. Three board members served in each category of two, four, and six-year terms of appointment. The board elected its own president, secretary, treasurer, and three-member executive committee. The search committee selected a site in Gastonia in 1919, and the hospital opened to receive its first patients in 1921.
Robert B. Babington, Sr., a Gastonia businessman, believed that North Carolina needed a hospital for crippled, medically indigent children. He began to organize support for the hospital in 1909. Babington then petitioned the assembly in 1911 and each successive seating until he was successful in 1917 in securing state support for the hospital project. The citizens of Gastonia raised the matching funds required to initiate construction, and Babington donated part of the land for the hospital. He also served as the president of the hospital board from 1917 until his death in 1935.
Although the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital was a state institution, it was authorized to accept gifts and many civic organizations donated time, money, equipment, and services. Two major benefactors, E. T. Latta and Benjamin N. Duke, contributed the funds for a separate unit for black children, which opened in 1926. The hospital conducted a clinic in Goldsboro to serve patients in the eastern part of the state more conveniently and to conserve bed space at the Gastonia facility.
Under the Executive Organization Act of 1971, the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital was transferred to the Department of Human Resources. The hospital and its board of directors retained their statutory powers and continued to function independently, although the managerial and executive authority was transferred to the secretary of the Department of Human Resources.
Under the Executive Organization Act of 1973, the Council for Institutional Boards was created to facilitate inter-institutional communication and the development of uniform policies in the operation and management of certain state institutions (hospitals, schools for the deaf and the blind, and the Confederate Woman’s Home). The chairmen of six boards of directors, including that of the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital, constituted the council. The council advised the secretary of the Department of Human Resources, and the council chairman served on the Board of Human Resources. The Board of Directors for the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital was re-created by this act (still nine members appointed by the governor for six-year terms).
In 1977 the joint House-Senate Base Budget Committee recommended that the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital be closed. They noted that officials in the Department of Human Resources and members of the fiscal staff of the General Assembly had stated that the physical condition of the hospital was beyond repair. The hospital ceased to operate on 1 July 1979, and the board of directors for the hospital was formally abolished in 1981. The Lenox Baker Children’s Hospital, which had newer facilities, began to provide orthopedic services for those who had been cared for by the Orthopedic Hospital.
Records include: Subject files, Hospital Superintendent’s Statistical Reports, and Board of Directors Minutes files.
Human Resources, Dept. of, Division of Health Services, Epidemiology Section, Tuberculosis Branch, 1907-1980
Minutes of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Sanatorium System (1923-1972), minutes of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Specialty Hospitals System (1972-1980), material on hearings before the General Assembly’s Joint Committee on Appropriations (1931), sanitarium system financial reports (1932-1980), and various advisory subcommittee minutes (1966-1978) for Eastern NC, Gravely, McCain, and Western NC hospitals. The McCain Hospital material includes deeds, land plats, photographs, slides and cassette tape, pamphlets, and a “Patient Memory Book” created by Eleanor Syon Stacey (died in 1918). The illustrations are reprinted from the “Dow Collection” (Dow Chemical Co.?) and are of people who suffered from tuberculosis (or other ailments): Andrew Jackson, Jimmie Rodgers, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Frederic Chopin, Christy Mathewson, Robert Lewis Stevenson, and John Henry “Doc” Holliday.
Human Resource, Dept. of Division of Health Services, Epidemiology Section, Occupational Health Branch, 1920’s-1981
Reports, budgets, inspection records, subject files, and other material of long-term value relating to the programs of the branch.