Daily Archives: June 14, 2012

Dorothea Dix Hospital Photograph Collection

A new finding aid has been added to our Non-Textual Materials Finding Aids page:

Dorothea Dix Hospital Photograph Collection, circa 1890-2000 – Dorothea Dix Hospital, formerly known as the The State Hospital at Raleigh, was named for Dorothea Dix (1802-1887), an activist who worked for improving conditions for the mentally ill in hospitals and asylums. Dix influenced North Carolina legislators to remove mentally ill inmates from prisons and to create a state institution where they could receive treatment. A location was chosen in the countryside a short distance outside of Raleigh, North Carolina . The first patient was admitted on February 22, 1856, and, fifty-one males and thirty-nine females were admitted during the next nine months. During the early twentieth century the hospital continued to add more buildings to the facility in addition to new patients. By the 1930’s there were over 2,000 patients. Situated on a 425 acre tract of land on the south side of the city of Raleigh, there are more than 120 separate buildings on the site, many of which were constructed during 1910-1930 and 1960-1980. The buildings are used for patient care, offices, shops, warehouses and other activities in support of the hospital. The photographs in this collection include images of the hospital’s buildings, facilities, staff, and residents. (1 box, ca. 3 linear feet.)

Several finding aids have also been updated on the Non-Textual Materials Finding Aids page:

Biographical Directory of the General Assembly of North Carolina Project Photograph Collection (General Assembly Composite Photograph File), 1875 – 1993 – The North Carolina General Assembly is the state of North Carolina’s state legislature. This elected body makes the laws of North Carolina, also known as the General Statutes. This collection consists of composite photographs of the North Carolina General Assembly, one original photograph depicting a composite of members of the N.C. Constitutional Convention of 1875, and several color portraits. (23 items, 1 box.)

Bittner, Denise, Photograph Collection, 1980-2001 – Denise and John Bittner were residents of Chapel Hill and Ocracoke, N.C. Dr. John R. Bittner (4 May 1943-9 April 2002) was a professor in the Journalism School at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Denise Alexander Bittner was Director of Development at the UNC Lineburger Comprehensive Cancer Center. In 1987, Denise and John Bittner participated in the US Olympic Festival Torch Run on Ocracoke Island, Hyde County, N.C., and volunteered during Research Triangle area festival events including the volleyball competition. Dr. Bittner passed away in 2002. This collection contains a total thirty-seven (37) photographs and thirty-six (36) negatives. The bulk of the materials relate to Denise Alexander Bittner, John Robert Bittner, and others running in and participating in events of the 1987 U.S. Olympic Festival Torch Run on Ocracoke Island, Hyde County, N.C. Other shots of the Bittners were taken with the North Carolina Historical Marker for Lt. Robert Maynard of the Royal Navy. Additional photos depict a variety of events in the lives of Denise and John R. Bittner, c.1980-2001. Several photos show them with celebrities while others show Dr. Bittner in his role as professor in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Journalism. Other shots show events and various people associated with the UNC-CH Lineburger Comprehensive Cancer Center. Thirty-six (36) negatives depict the volleyball competition during the 1987 U.S. Olympic Festival in the Research Triangle. 73 items.

Stone, Raymond, Photograph Collection of Governor Terry Sanford’s Education Tour, 1962 – James Terry Sanford was born August 20, 1917. A political ally of John F. Kennedy, in 1960 he won the governor’s race for North Carolina on a moderate platform. As governor, Terry Sanford fought for the desegregation of North Carolina schools, and helped expand the Research Triangle Park in the Raleigh-Durham area which helped boost the state’s economy. After his term he opened a law practice. In 1969 he became President of Duke University, a post he held until 1985. Terry Sanford made two unsuccessful bids to be the Democratic Presidential nominee in the 1970s. In 1986 he was elected to United States Senate where he served until defeated by Lauch Faircloth in 1992. Sanford died on April 18, 1998 of esophageal cancer. The 247 photographs in this collection are 5×7 black and white prints taken by Lt. Lloyd Burchett of the North Carolina Highway Patrol, who served both as Governor Sanford’s chauffeur and photographer. In 1962 Governor Terry Sanford launched a tour around North Carolina schools to promote integration. The photographs in the collection span January to the end of September, 1962, and generally depict Governor Sanford speaking in school gymnasiums or cafeterias, interacting with schoolchildren and local dignitaries. (247 items, .67 linear feet.)

Farrell, Charles A., Photograph Collection, c.1925-1945 – Charles Anderson Farrell was born in Yadkin County, North Carolina in 1893. After graduating from Wake Forest College, Farrell worked in his father Andrew Jackson Farrell’s photography studio in Winston-Salem. Commercial photographer A. J. Farrell also worked for the Reynolds family in Winston Salem. In 1919, Farrell began working for the Eastman Kodak Company as a technical representative. Farrell married Anne McKaughan on February 5, 1921. Charles A. Farrell worked for the Greensboro Daily News, and according to his obituary, was the first professional photographer on staff at the newspaper. The Farrells opened a photographic studio and camera and art supply store in Greensboro called The Art Shop. Between 1933 and 1944, Charles Farrell contributed photographs to five books printed by the University of North Carolina Press, including the popular book Tobe, the story of a young African American boy during the 1930s. Anne M. Farrell began capturing photographs in the 1930s, contributing articles and images to American Girl magazine. Later, Mrs. Farrell assisted Ethel Stephens Arnett with the retouching, printing, and reproduction of the illustrations in Arnett’s books. The bulk of the photographs in the collection were taken by Charles A. Farrell between 1925 and 1940 in association with his work as a commercial photographer in Greensboro. Farrell also took a significant number of photographs of coastal North Carolina in the late 1930s. Farrell took many photographs of Onslow County fishermen to document traditional coastal life prior to the construction of Camp Lejeune. Additionally, there are photographs of a Cherokee Indian Fair in the mountains and photographs related to aviation, including pictures of Charles Lindbergh in Greensboro. The collection also contains images captured by Anne McKaughan Farrell during her travels in the state and photographs of McKaughan and Farrell relatives. (ca. 5,200 items, 6.0 linear feet.)

Advertisements

Records Move: Human Resources

In this, the next of our continuing series on the records now available on Saturdays, I’m focusing on several collections related to the Dept. of Human Resources which have been moved to our new storage space in the Archives and Library building. The complete list of all the materials moved is available as a PDF from our website, but I’m breaking down the list into a series of blog posts.

More information about these collections can be found in our online catalog MARS, but it will likely take us a while to change the location codes in MARS and our other finding aids so we ask you to please be patient with us.

Human Resources, Dept. of,  Division of Facility Services, Certificate of Need Section, 1973-1981

Applications received from medical facilities concerning their need to improve facilities or equipment. The series also contains correspondence between the applicants, the agency, and the U.S. Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare. These applications, as required under the Public Health Service Act, are submitted whenever a project exceeds capital expenditure thresholds, a change in bed numbers or a change in category is requested, or when a new institutional health service is proposed. An alphabetical card index to these files is maintained by the agency, which has also been known as the State Health Planning and Development Agency.

Human Resources, Dept. of, N. C. Orthopedic Hospitals, 1900-1981

In 1917 the General Assembly appropriated funds to establish and maintain the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital. The act stipulated that these initial state funds would be released for its construction and support if matching funds were pledged from other sources. The governor appointed a five-member search committee to select a site and a nine- member board of trustees who would begin serving after the hospital was sited. Three board members served in each category of two, four, and six-year terms of appointment. The board elected its own president, secretary, treasurer, and three-member executive committee. The search committee selected a site in Gastonia in 1919, and the hospital opened to receive its first patients in 1921.

Robert B. Babington, Sr., a Gastonia businessman, believed that North Carolina needed a hospital for crippled, medically indigent children. He began to organize support for the hospital in 1909. Babington then petitioned the assembly in 1911 and each successive seating until he was successful in 1917 in securing state support for the hospital project. The citizens of Gastonia raised the matching funds required to initiate construction, and Babington donated part of the land for the hospital. He also served as the president of the hospital board from 1917 until his death in 1935.

Although the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital was a state institution, it was authorized to accept gifts and many civic organizations donated time, money, equipment, and services. Two major benefactors, E. T. Latta and Benjamin N. Duke, contributed the funds for a separate unit for black children, which opened in 1926. The hospital conducted a clinic in Goldsboro to serve patients in the eastern part of the state more conveniently and to conserve bed space at the Gastonia facility.

Under the Executive Organization Act of 1971, the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital was transferred to the Department of Human Resources. The hospital and its board of directors retained their statutory powers and continued to function independently, although the managerial and executive authority was transferred to the secretary of the Department of Human Resources.

Under the Executive Organization Act of 1973, the Council for Institutional Boards was created to facilitate inter-institutional communication and the development of uniform policies in the operation and management of certain state institutions (hospitals, schools for the deaf and the blind, and the Confederate Woman’s Home). The chairmen of six boards of directors, including that of the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital, constituted the council. The council advised the secretary of the Department of Human Resources, and the council chairman served on the Board of Human Resources. The Board of Directors for the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital was re-created by this act (still nine members appointed by the governor for six-year terms).

In 1977 the joint House-Senate Base Budget Committee recommended that the North Carolina Orthopedic Hospital be closed. They noted that officials in the Department of Human Resources and members of the fiscal staff of the General Assembly had stated that the physical condition of the hospital was beyond repair. The hospital ceased to operate on 1 July 1979, and the board of directors for the hospital was formally abolished in 1981. The Lenox Baker Children’s Hospital, which had newer facilities, began to provide orthopedic services for those who had been cared for by the Orthopedic Hospital.

Records include: Subject files, Hospital Superintendent’s Statistical Reports, and Board of Directors Minutes files.

Human Resources, Dept. of, Division of Health Services, Epidemiology Section, Tuberculosis Branch, 1907-1980

Minutes of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Sanatorium System (1923-1972), minutes of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Specialty Hospitals System (1972-1980), material on hearings before the General Assembly’s Joint Committee on Appropriations (1931), sanitarium system financial reports (1932-1980), and various advisory subcommittee minutes (1966-1978) for Eastern NC, Gravely, McCain, and Western NC hospitals. The McCain Hospital material includes deeds, land plats, photographs, slides and cassette tape, pamphlets, and a “Patient Memory Book” created by Eleanor Syon Stacey (died in 1918). The illustrations are reprinted from the “Dow Collection” (Dow Chemical Co.?) and are of people who suffered from tuberculosis (or other ailments): Andrew Jackson, Jimmie Rodgers, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Frederic Chopin, Christy Mathewson, Robert Lewis Stevenson, and John Henry “Doc” Holliday.

Human Resource, Dept. of Division of Health Services, Epidemiology Section, Occupational Health Branch, 1920’s-1981

Reports, budgets, inspection records, subject files, and other material of long-term value relating to the programs of the branch.

The James Johnson story: Alfred was my slave name

Every now and then an heretofore unknown document will surface and demand the attention of an historian and or archivist. Former North Carolina native enslaved person’s memoirs/ narratives are just the type of rare document that both takes your breath away and immediately calls for your undivided consideration.

An English librarian from Oldham, England, while working on an exhibit about Oldham and slavery came across “The Life of the late James Johnson.”   The librarian sent a two paragraph abstract of Johnson’s story and asked if the State Archives of North Carolina could verify any of the facts in the abstract.   Realizing the importance of the  memoir, I was granted permission to try and answer the librarian’s question.

What ensued was a thrilling (!) game of cat and mouse where Johnson’s details and memory were checked against records at the Archives and various online databases and I, Chris Meekins, collaborated with librarians, archivists and renown NC historian David Cecelski.

Drop in the Maritime Museum in Southport on Tuesday, June 19th, 2012 to learn more about Johnson and our quest to learn more about him.

See you there! Chris

Alfred Was My Slave Name