[This blog post comes from the Outer Banks History Center; for more information, visit http://www.obhistorycenter.ncdcr.gov/]
2nd Saturdays Programs at the Outer Banks History Center Focus on 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War
As part of the Department of Cultural Resources’ “2nd Saturdays,” the Outer Banks History Center in Manteo will present three programs over the summer that tie in with our current exhibit, “The Civil War Comes to Roanoke Island: Fishers, Fighters & Freedmen.” Programs are free and open to the public from 2:00—3:00 p.m. The History Center Gallery will be open before or after these presentations. In the first of these programs on June 9, OBHC Curator KaeLi Schurr will present, “From Slave to Civil War Soldier: The Remarkable Early Life of Richard Etheridge.”
Richard Etheridge is widely known as the keeper of the Pea Island Lifesaving Station, the only all African American crew in the U.S. Lifesaving Service. Less is known about his early life. Born into slavery in 1842 along North Carolina’s Outer Banks, Etheridge was taught to read and write. After the Union occupied Roanoke Island in Feb. 1862, Etheridge became a resident of the Freedmen’s Colony on Roanoke Island until 1863 when he enlisted in the famed African Brigade, among the first blacks in the nation to serve as Union soldiers. Arguably the military discipline and esprit de corps he experienced as a soldier contributed to his leadership capabilities as a USLSS keeper.
The next program on July 14 presents “Civil War Scenes through the Lens of the Magic Lantern,” and the series ends August 11 with “The Importance of the Battle of Roanoke Island, February 7 & 8, 1862.”
More than 100 “2nd Saturday” events across the state bring together history and authentic North Carolina culture. For a complete schedule of events, go towww.ncculture.com. For information call (919) 807-7389.
The Outer Banks History Center is a regional archives and research library of the N. C. Office of Archives and History,. The Center is open to the public and is located across from the Manteo waterfront at Roanoke Island Festival Park, Manteo. For more information, call (252) 473-2655, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.obhistorycenter.ncdcr.gov.