[This press release was sent to me by our Public Service Branch because several of their staff will be speaking that weekend. For more information about the event, visit http://www.encfamilies.org/]
3rd Annual Family History Fair and 300th Heritage Weekend in Celebration of Craven County’s 300th Anniversary
NEW BERN (May 18, 2012) The Family History Society of Eastern North Carolina cordially invites you to celebrate Craven County’s 300th Anniversary during the 3rd Annual Family History Fair & 300th Heritage Weekend, June 1st through June 3rd at the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center. The original Craven Precinct formed in 1712 included many of the surrounding counties from Carteret all the way to Johnston.
An official sanctioned Craven County 300th Anniversary event, the weekend will feature a 300th Heritage Luncheon with Mr. Chris Meekins, North Carolina State Archivist speaking about “The Civil War in Eastern North Carolina” and the beautiful voices of The Heritage Chorale of Eastern North Carolina who will be singing selections celebrating the many groups who have settled here. The event will also include exhibits by area libraries, genealogical, historical, and cultural groups as well as family photo displays, kids’ history activities, door prizes, and a tea cup auction. The exhibits, displays, kids’ activities, and beginning genealogy classes are free and open to the public. Also featured is the Heritage Park Brunch and Ground-Breaking Ceremony to remember, honor, and celebrate all of the people of the area from the early times to the present.
The Society is excited to be partnering with the North Carolina State Archives and State Library, the Craven County Genealogical Society, the Pamlico County Family History Library, Museum, and Heritage Center, and the Richard Dobbs Spaight DAR Chapter to offer family history research and beginning genealogy classes.
The schedule for the three day event:
Friday, June 1st, 9 am to 5 pm
• Exhibitors • Family Photo Boards
• Six Family History Research Classes with the North Carolina State Archives and State Library will feature Debbi Blake, North Carolina Archives Public Services Supervisor; Chris Meekins, North Carolina State Archivist; Kay Tillotson, North Carolina State Library Genealogy Research Librarian; and Jefferson Currie, Native American Research Specialist. Topics covered will include “Resources Available Onsite and Online at the North Carolina State Archives and Library”, “Researching Revolutionary War, Civil War, African American, and Native American Ancestry.” Family History Research Classes: Pre-paid registration is $25 by May 26th, after, $35. A pre-paid box lunch is also available for $8 by May 26th, after $10.
Saturday, June 2nd, 9 am to 5 pm
• Exhibitors • Family Photo Boards
• 300th Heritage Luncheon Featuring “The Civil War in ENC” Presentation by Mr. Chris Meekins, Archivist, NC State Archives, and the beautiful voices of The Heritage Chorale of Eastern North Carolina. The luncheon menu includes Baked Ziti with Meat Sauce and Baked Chicken, Garden Salad, Garlic Bread, Strawberry & Blueberry Shortcake, and Coffee, Tea (Sweet/Unsweet), or Water. Veggie Pasta (Red or White Sauce) is also available. Pre-paid luncheon tickets are $20 by May 26th, after $25.
• Free Kids’ Event (9 am to Noon and 2 pm to 4pm): Make Historical Crafts, Hear Stories, Pet an Alpaca (9a-12p), Sit on an Antique Tractor, and more Fun Activities!
• Free Beginning Genealogy Classes at 10 am and 3pm include “How Do I Start My Family History?” by Barbara Ordione Kerr sponsored by The Pamlico County Family History Library, Museum, and Heritage Center, “Getting the Most Out of the Federal Census Reports” by Carolyn Smith and Lois Gregory sponsored by The Craven County Genealogical Society, and “Researching DAR Records Online” by Lou Tate Walker and Carolyn Clemmer McCulley sponsored by The Richard Dobbs Spaight DAR Chapter.
Sunday, June 3rd, 10am to 1pm
• Heritage Park Brunch & Ground-Breaking Ceremony
Enjoy a wonderful brunch which includes Scrambled Eggs, Bacon & Sausage Patties, Biscuits, Breakfast Gravy for Biscuits, Pancakes with Butter & Syrup, Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes, Sliced Fruit, and Coffee, Water, or Assorted Juices (Orange, Tomato and Grapefruit). $15 by 5/26, After $20.
• The Heritage Park Ground-Breaking Ceremony will take place at 2 pm at 300 Pollock Street at Craven Street at New Bern City Hall.
Tickets and registration forms are available at the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center and the New Bern-Craven County Farmers’ Market. More information about the event is available online at www.ENCFamilies.org or by calling 252.349.0405. We look forwarding to seeing everyone as we gather to celebrate Craven County’s 300th Anniversary!