Division of Forest Resources Information and Education Photography

An updated finding aid has been added to the Non-Textual Materials and State Agency Records finding aids pages:

Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Forest Resources Information and Education Photography, 1916 – 1949
In 1905 the General Assembly established the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey, the state’s first agency charged with examining natural resources both in terms of economic potential and of conservation needs. In 1925 the General Assembly replaced the Geological and Economic Survey with the Department of Conservation and Development, giving it a broad mandate to expand all services currently offered by the state in the conservation, utilization, and development of natural resources. In the area of forest resources, the department had overall responsibility for forest maintenance, fire prevention, reforestation, and custody of state forests and parks. Under the Executive Organization Act of 1971, the Department of Natural and Economic Resources was created and placed under the direction of a cabinet-level secretary appointed by the governor. This act assigned to the new agency more than twenty different entities, including the Department of Conservation and Development and its divisions (including the forest service). By provision of a legislative act of 1977, the department was reorganized and renamed the Department of Natural Resources and Community Development. This collection was compiled by the Division of Forestry for use in information and education programs on the state of the timber industry in North Carolina. It includes photographs and negatives arranged in alphabetical order by subject matter. (15 boxes, includes photographs and negatives with extensive moisture damage.)

Advertisements