Our programmer has updated MARS again. In the past, when you’ve done searches using our MARS Basic Search screen, the main MARS fields being searched were: Title (the title of a record, collection, box, folder, etc.); Subject (all of the subject headings, a.k.a. index terms, associated with the materials); Originator (the creator or collector of the materials); and Scope/Content (the narrative description of the materials).
Now when you do a Basic Search, you will be searching the following fields:
- Abstract – Many of our Scope/Content notes are very long and can include things like agency histories. The abstract field includes a shorter version of the Scope/Content note when needed.
- Arrangement – A brief statement about how the materials are arranged.
- Call Number – The call number for the collection, item, box, etc.
- Description – The format of the materials being described; for example: photographs, correspondence, plats, maps, etc.
- Extent – The amount of materials being described, usually given in numbers of boxes, folders, volumes, cubic feet, etc.
- Land Grant Data – Information about our land grant materials including acres, grant number, warrant number, etc.
- Languages – The language(s) that the materials were written in; in other words, what languages you need to know in order to read them.
- Note – Any notes that an archivist might have made about the materials when describing them in MARS.
- Originators – The creators or collectors of the materials.
- Other Copies – Other copies of the collection; for example: microfilm copies of records we also have in paper format.
- Related Materials – Other items, collections or records that may be related in some way.
- Scope/Content – The description of the materials and any historical context needed to understand them.
- Subjects – Subject headings or index terms for the materials.
- Title – Title of the materials; this means that a box title, record group title, item title, or series title would all be found in the title field. You can tell one level from another by looking at the Container Field at any level (a list of the Container Type levels is also available through our MARS Help Pages).
- Years – The years that the records were created.