New OBHC Finding Aids

Three new finding aids have been added to the Outer Banks History Center website:

  • David Stick Hurricane Research Materials, 1953 – 1961
    North Carolina was affected by several hurricanes in the mid-1950s, chiefly Hurricane Hazel (1954) and Hurricanes Connie, Diane and Ione (1955). While the Outer Banks were not affected by the these hurricanes as much as southern portions of the state, a series of nor’easters in the winter and early spring of 1956 caused shoreline erosion and damage to homes and businesses. The Nags Head Chamber of Commerce called a public meeting on April 12, 1956, at which a committee was formed to determine whether damage from recent storms had been severe enough to justify requesting Governor Luther Hodges to designate this as a “Major Disaster Area.” The seven member committee included T. H. Briggs, George Crocker, Robert Gunn, H.C. Lawrence, Lucille Purser, Lawrence Swain and David Stick. Stick was made chairman of the committee, which recommended that the Northern Dare beaches be declared a disaster area. The Dare County Board of Commissioners then appointed a permanent Dare County Storm Rehabilitation Committee made up of the members of the ad hoc Chamber of Commerce committee and seven others. In May, 1956, David Stick wrote and organized the booklet Handbook for Erosion Control: What the Individual Property Owner can do to Protect his Beachfront, that was published the following month by the committee, followed by Presenting the Need for Hurricane Protection for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. (.77 cubic feet)
  • WNHW (Wanchese, N.C.) Radio News Stories Collection, 1990 – 1996
    WNHW is a radio station located in Wanchese, North Carolina. It serves the Elizabeth City and Nags Head, North Carolina listening market. This collection consists of news stories read over the air between 1990-1996 and is arranged chronologically. (.60 cubic feet)
  • Wright Memorial Bridge Company and Kitty Hawk Company Records, 1929 – 1958
    The Kitty Hawk Company was formed in 1929 with the chief purpose of constructing a toll bridge over the Currituck Sound from Point Harbor to Kitty Hawk, to collect tolls, and to develop land in the Kitty Hawk beach area. This included selling lots, building roads, and providing necessary infrastructure to the development. On July 7, 1930, the Wright Memorial Bridge Company was formed with the same purposes as the Kitty Hawk Company. This collection includes a notebook of meeting minutes of the Wright Memorial Bridge Company and the Kitty Hawk Company, as well as stock certificates, financial records, and correspondence. (.24 cubic feet)
Advertisements