New Finding Aids from the OBHC

Two new finding aids are available on the Outer Banks History Center’s finding aids page:

Bridgers, Captain Henry Clark, Jr., Steamboats of the Tar (River) Papers, 1819 – ca. 2000 – Captain Henry Clark Bridgers, Jr., (1913-1981) graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1935 after which he entered the Navy and graduated from flight training school in 1936 as an aviator, ultimately achieving the rank of captain in 1962. Bridgers suffered a heart attack in 1965 that forced his retirement from the Navy. Returning to his native Edgecombe County, N.C., he became a well-known local historian who wrote about railroads, banking and steamboats in eastern North Carolina. At the time of his death in 1981, Bridgers had spent years researching and writing a manuscript entitled Steamboats on the Tar that remains unpublished. This collection consists of an unpublished manuscript in three versions and related research materials entitled Steamboats of the Tar. Included are books, maps, photographs, notes, correspondence, clippings, and vessel enrollment forms pertaining to steamboats operating in eastern North Carolina waters from the early 19th century forward. (3.3 cubic feet)

Tugboat Maryland Collection, 1938 – 1974 – The tug Maryland was a ship of the Norfolk, Baltimore and Carolina Line and was engaged in towing barges in interstate commerce. This small collection encompasses various documents concerning the tugboat Maryland, mostly pertaining to licensing, maintenance, inspections and expenses. (38 items)