Here are a few newly posted or recently edited finding aids for early August:
Armfield, Joseph Franklin, Photograph Collection, ca. late 1890s – The collection contains a photograph of Col. Joseph Franklin Armfield (1862-1910) on horseback, ca. late 1890s. He was colonel of the First North Carolina Regiment during the Spanish American War. He was later an officer with the North Carolina State Guard.
Camp Recovery, N.C. (Civilian Conservation Corps), Photograph Collection, 1935 – The National Photo Service was established in 1921 by Eugene Omar Goldbeck (1892-1986). The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) was a work relief program with a two-fold purpose: utilization of the country’s human resources and conservation of the country’s physical resources. The print is a panoramic view of Camp Recovery, Home of Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) Company 457, Polkton, (Anson County), North Carolina, April, 1935.
Current, Ruth, Papers, 1926 – 1967 – Miss Ruth Current (1900-1967), a native of Rowan County, began her association with North Carolina State Extension Service in January, 1928, as home demonstration agent in Statesville and served in that capacity until November 1, 1930. Later she served successively as district home demonstration agent for the Southwest District (1930-1937), state home demonstration agent (1937-1958), and assistant director of extension in charge of home economics programs (1958-1961). The personal papers of Ruth Current include correspondence, clippings, photographs, speeches, articles, notes, reports, newsletters, bulletins, programs, booklets, a notebook, and other miscellaneous items related to her work in the home demonstration field.
Inglis, Frances and Ross, Photograph Collection, early 1900s – Frank Baldwin took these photographs and the negatives were collected by Frances and Ross Inglis. The glass-plate negatives contain views of Chowan County fisheries, cotton fields at Greenfield, the Cupola House and cypress trees.
Interstate Highway 40 Tunnel Construction Photograph Collection, 1967 – 1969 – Andrew C. Payne, an English civil engineer, held the title of assistant to the resident engineer for Michael Baker, Jr., Inc. Consulting Engineers and supervised the work of the contractor, Lewis Construction Associates. Payne and his staff provided the site lines for the alignment and profile of the highway and tunnel and administered the contract on behalf of the State Highway Department. Collection includes photographs, negatives, and other materials that document the construction of the westbound tunnel of I-40 close to the border between North Carolina and Tennessee.