All of you who have been eager to get back to researching at the North Carolina State Archives, your wait is almost over. The stacks shift ended in June and the Search Room will officially open in its temporary quarters on July 10th.
There will be a few changes to keep in mind when you visit the temporary Search Room and Microfilm Room:
- Visitors to both the Search Room and the Microfilm Room must first register at the security desk in the Search Room before beginning their research. Lockers (located in the basement) are still available for securing belongings and change will be available in both locations. However, microfilm users may want to plan ahead by bringing quarters with them in order to get the most use of their thirty minutes.
- The temporary Search Room is located in the basement of the State Archives/State Library in Room G33. This room has a seating capacity of only twenty-four (24) researchers. If our visitation exceeds that number, researchers will need to sign up for the next available seat. Due to our limited seating capacity, the Archives will give special consideration to out-of-state researchers. Non-North Carolina residents may reserve a space by calling 919-807-7310. No more than six (6) spaces will be reserved. Staff will continue pulling original records according to the schedule established in January 2007 (see the bottom of this post for more information).
- All published abstracted resources (court minutes, deeds, etc.) are in storage. Patrons are encouraged to visit the State Library’s Genealogical Library on the West Mezzanine to use these materials.
- The temporary Microfilm Room is located on the second floor in the east wing of the State Archives/State Library building, Room 246. There are only six (6) spaces available – five reader-printers and one powered reader for the handicapped. Due to this limited number of microfilm readers, each researcher will be limited to thirty (30) minutes of reader usage at a time. Sign up sheets will be used to monitor usage times.
- Photocopiers are not located in the same space as the Search Room in the temporary space. This means that, on busy days and given staff demands, it may not be possible to provide more than fifty (50) copies per day to individual researchers. On such days, staff will work with patrons to count photocopies and allow patrons to pre-pay for photocopy orders. Archives staff will then mail the photocopies to researchers as quickly as possible.
Due to these temporary challenges, researchers may wish to consider taking advantage of the services provided by the Correspondence Unit during this time. North Carolina residents can email questions at no cost by using our web form; non-residents must pay a research fee of $20 per question. There is no page limit on copy orders through correspondence.
We regret any inconvenience these changes may cause our patrons and thank you for your patience and understanding.
Temporary Search Room/Microfilm Room Hours
Tuesday-Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM
Saturday, 9 AM-Noon, 1 PM-5 PM
Schedule for Original Records Pulls
- 9:30 AM
- 10:00 AM
- 10:30 AM
- 11:00 AM
- 11:30 AM
- 1:00 PM
- 2:00 PM
- 2:30 PM
- 3:00 PM
- 3:30 PM
- 4:00 PM