Finding Aids Posted During June

Although the Search Room is closed, work continues in all parts of the Archives. Here are a few of the finding aids that have been posted online during the month of June:

Brumit, Susan Greer Ray Vance, Journals, 1951 – 1989 – Susan Greer Ray Vance Brumit (1909-1990), wife, mother, and homemaker, was born in Elk Park, Avery County, North Carolina. She was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Ray (1872-1941), owner of a chemical company in Elk Park, and Cordelia Green Morphew (1875-1934). At sixteen she married Thomas Beauregard Vance, Jr. of Plumtree, NC, and in 1928 she gave birth to their son Thomas Beauregard Vance, III. She left her first husband in or after 1931 and, sometime during the mid-1930s, she married her second husband, Captain Philip I. Brumit. The collection includes 31 volumes of journals (6 of which are unbound) and 31 manuscript/printed items. Mrs. Brumit’s journals begin in 1951 and end in 1989; she used them to express her opinions and musings on a number of topics, whether family members, relations with neighbors, social trends, economic conditions, political events, or religious matters.

Burroughs Family Papers, 1859 – 1930 – William L. Burroughs, son of Basil and Rebecca M. (Turner) Burroughs enlisted with his brother Charles G., in Company B, 12th N.C. Regiment on April 26, 1861. He was sick in the hospital at Petersburg in May 1862, and both boys were furloughed home on sick leave from 1862 into 1863, Charles G. returned to his regiment in April 1863, but William L. was at home from May 28, 1862 until Aug. 2, 1863 at which time he was reported as absent without leave from his regiment. Papers of two generations of the Burroughs family of Granville/Warren County. The seventeen items dating from 1859 through 1878 relate to William Luther Burroughs (born Oct 1836), and the remaining items dating from 1892 to 1930 relate to his son William J. Burroughs (born 1875) and family connections.

Coble, Eli, Papers, 1805 – 1883 – These papers are primarily those of Eli Coble, a Randolph County, N.C., farmer and justice of the county court. The papers include letters, accounts, articles of indenture, attachment bonds, deeds and land records, estates, marriage licenses, promissory notes and receipts, slave papers, tax receipts, wills, and so forth. The greater part of the papers relate to Randolph County estates administered by Coble directly or at second hand as further administrator through the death of the original administrator. The marriage licenses in the collection presumably represent couples for whom Coble performed the marriage ceremony. Some Civil War materials are also included in the collection.

Dalton Family Papers, 1851 – 1973 – The Rev, Mr. Dalton, son of Nicholas and Rachel (Hunter) Dalton of Rockingham County, N.C., was educated in the University of North Carolina, Princeton University, and Union Theological Seminary. Licensed by the Presbytery of Orange in North Carolina in 1847, Mr. Dalton was dismissed to the Presbytery of Concord where he was ordained at the close of 1848. He remained in the Presbytery of Concord, serving as supply pastor and missionary, from 1848-1857 when he was dismissed to the Presbytery of Orange. Mr. Dalton was a member of the Presbytery of Orange from 1857-1889 when he was dismissed back to the Presbytery of Concord where he remained until his death in 1896. Archie Carter Dalton, son of the clergyman, entered Davidson College in 1874 and died in 1876 while still a student. The heart of this collection is made up of twelve original manuscript sermons written and preached by the Rev. Pleasant Hunter Dalton (1821-1896), and five original manuscripts written by his son, Archie Carter Dalton (1853-1876). The papers also include 10 miscellaneous manuscripts, research notes, typescripts, photocopies, 7 newspaper clippings, and 1 scrapbook.

Grand Lodge of North Carolina, Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons, 1806 – 1987 – The Grand Lodge of [North] Carolina of Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons (of A. F. and A. M.) was formed in 1787. The collection documents various aspects of the freemasonry movement in North Carolina, beginning with the Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina and Tennessee from 1804 to 1840. The collection contains some records (non-continuous) relating to individual lodges, including some early applications to the lodge at Beaufort (1806 and 1807); the constitution of the Grand Lodge of Ancient York Masons of N.C.; the certificate of commission of Hiram Lodge, Raleigh (1800); 3 notices of rejection addressed to Sharon Lodge, Windsor (1852-53); and the record book of Stone Square Lodge of Warrenton (1905-1911). There are miscellaneous records such as fragments of Laws of North Carolina; an almanac of 1848; an ode; and an 1847 legislative committee report relating to construction of buildings for the “deaf, dumb, and blind.” Of particular interest are the treasurer’s records of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina, A. F. and A. M., 1891-1824, formerly in the N.C. Treasurer’s Papers. Other records from the Grand Lodge include an “Annual Communication” of 1902; material relating to the Executive Office Building dedication of 1958; and material from the Bicentennial Celebration of 1987. The broad date range of the collection is from the early 1800s to 1987, but there are no continuous and unbroken series.

Women-In-Action for the Prevention of Violence and its Causes, Inc., Durham Chapter Records, 1968 – 1973 – Women-In-Action for the Prevention of Violence and Its Causes, Inc. was founded by Elna B. Spaulding on September 4, 1968, shortly after a public appeal was made to women of the Durham community to form a civic coalition of African-American and white women from all levels of society to work toward the prevention of violence. At that time, Durham was in the throes of a “black buying boycott,” and tensions were mounting. The new organization worked with the principal groups involved (Black Solidarity Committee, Chamber of Commerce, Merchants Bureau), held open forums on the grievances, and contributed to a settlement which was effected in February, 1969. Anticipating public unrest over the court-ordered school desegregation plan, Women-In-Action opened a Center for School Support on July 29, 1970. The role Women-In-Action played in helping to foster a healthy climate for the transition was cited by state and local officials. This group of general records of Women-In-Action dates from 1968 to 1973. Materials relate to the organization’s work to prevent violence in the Durham, N.C., area during the 1960s and 1970s including boycotts, school desegregation, providing a problem clearinghouse to serve as an independent ombudsman for Durham citizens and serving as a rumor control center investigating complaints, rumors, and problems dealing with unemployment, drug abuse, medical care, substandard housing, consumer affairs, and other issues.

World War I Poster Collection, General Liberty Loan Posters, ca. 1917 – ca. 1919 – After the United States entered World War I, government officials found posters to be an extremely effective means of communicating information to the general public. The posters were meant to have widespread appeal and thus tended to be colorful, with simple, legible messages. Many made use of patriotic symbols such as the Liberty Bell, the Statue of Liberty, the American Flag, and Uncle Sam. Others included easily-recognizable buildings important to the nation’s history, including Independence Hall and the Supreme Court Building. Images of soldiers, ships, and planes are common, as are women personifying Liberty, America, Freedom, etc. Although most of the designs followed themes of patriotism and unity, some used ethnic stereotypes and anti-German imagery. In addition to general war propaganda, posters were employed for a variety of causes, including recruitment, conservation, and solicitation of donations for relief groups. Other posters helped the government raise money through the sale of Victory and Liberty Bonds and War Savings Stamps. Over 350 World War I posters, produced between 1917 and 1919, are preserved in the North Carolina State Archives poster collection, 97 of which were created in support of the various war fund-raising and Liberty Loan campaigns. A wide variety of printers and artists are represented in this collection.

Advertisements