Posted by: Ashley | October 3, 2011

New OBHC Finding Aids

There are five new finding aids on the Outer Banks History Center (OBHC) website:

Baum, Washington F., Papers, 1956-1983 (PDF) – Washington Franklin Baum (1876-1967), a native of Wanchese, North Carolina, was the son of Somers and Mary Ann Wright Baum. He married Agnes Jones Baum in 1910. They had three children, Marjorie, Bessie, and Balfour. Baum was an influential figure in Dare County during its formative years. In 1924, he was elected to the Dare County Board of Commissioners and served a four-year term. During that time he led a drive to build the first bridge connecting Roanoke Island to Nags Head. In 1928, Baum was appointed as the Dare County Recorder’s Court Judge, a position he held until 1962. In that year, a new bridge between Nags Head and Manteo, that replaced the original span, was named in his honor. The Washington F. Baum Papers include correspondence, newspaper clippings, and photographs. (.38 cubic feet)

Dare County Board of Education Records, 1882-1970 (PDF) – Early residents of the Outer Banks of North Carolina who wanted to educate their children had to teach them or get help from their neighbors. The affluent could afford private teachers or to send their children to attend school elsewhere. Soon, people found it easier to band together and build one-room schools, and hire a teacher for a few months each year. Small schools were formed along the Outer Banks and school districts created. These districts had the authority to levy taxes for additional construction. These schools remained under the control of Dare County until 1931, when the School Machinery Act was passed by the North Carolina General Assembly. The Dare County Board of Education Records consist primarily of land deeds, correspondence, bank books, receipts, and insurance policies for both “white” and “colored” schools. (.48 cubic feet)

Gaskill, Edith, Oregon Inlet and Wanchese Harbor Project Newspaper Clippings, 1965-2003 (PDF) – This collection traces the history of the construction of the Wanchese Seafood Industrial Park and improvements to Wanchese Harbor in Wanchese, North Carolina, a fishing village on the south end of Roanoke Island. A component of the project was the stabilization of Oregon Inlet (the closest point of access to the ocean for local fishing boats) by the construction of jetties. Although charter and commercial fishermen, company owners, and residents have lobbied for 30 years, the jetties have never been built and the concept remains controversial. This collection consists of acid-free copies of newspaper clippings about Oregon Inlet, Wanchese Harbor, Wanchese Seafood Industrial Park, and jetties that were painstakingly collected by the donor, Edith Gaskill of Wanchese. (.38 cubic feet)

Jones, Roscoe C., Postmaster Appointment Certificates, 1922 – 1930 (PDF) – Roscoe C. Jones (1885 – 1953) was born in East Lake to Asa Warren Jones and Martha Ann Creef Jones. After the death of his father, the family moved to Roanoke Island. He married Estelle Mann in 1906; they had four children. Jones served as Dare County Register of Deeds from 1911 to roughly 1916. He served as the first postmaster of the short-lived Griffin Post Office on Nags Head’s sound-side, and later as Manteo Postmaster from 1922 until 1934. Jones was a member of Mt. Olivet Methodist Church in Manteo and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. This collection consists of one box/folder, containing 3 Postmaster Appointment Certificates. (3 items)

Primitive Baptist Church Records, 1830-2001 (PDF) – Elim Church (Regular Baptist) in Powells Point, North Carolina was formed in the early 1800s from members of Coinjock Church. Elim became a member of the Kehukee Baptist Association in 1831, having previously been associated with the Chowan Baptist Association. Eight members of Elim Church who lived on the “North Banks” across the sound from Powells Point asked for a letter of dismission for the purpose of starting a new church. The request was granted, and on August 26, 1854 a new church, Providence Church, was established at Kitty Hawk. The Primitive Baptist Records contain correspondence, ledger books, newspaper clippings, and session books from Elim and Providence Primitive Baptist churches. (1 cubic feet)

About these ads

Categories

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 189 other followers

%d bloggers like this: